Hello again, and welcome back to PROP.architecture! It has been a very busy couple of weeks with the release of the first issue of PROP.houses, as well as my studio design competition finally taking off (more to come on this, very exciting stuff).
Despite my busy schedule, I think it is important to find time to unwind. Whether it’s settling down on the couch with a hardcover book, listening to a podcast on the way to work or class, or (my most recent favorite, a combination of both) diving into a good audio book; I not only think the unwinding and relaxation is important, but why not learn something while you’re doing it?
With that, I am proud to announce PROP.reads | 9 Books in 9 Weeks. Throughout the remainder of the year, I am going to dedicate myself to reading one book a week. These books will come in various forms: hard copy, audio book, even an iTunes album.
Now you might say, “Audio books? That’s cheating!” To which I will say, “No it’s not. It’s time efficient.”
Part of this challenge is rooted in the idea of finishing. One of my chosen books is titled Finishing: Give Yourself the Gift of Done. The day after perfection is the most popular day for quitting. The day after you realize you weren’t going to make your workout goal that morning, you figure it isn’t even worth it to keep trying. The day after you decide to go to bed early instead of stay up and read that one chapter for the night, the book lays dormant on your nightstand left to collect dust. I am guilty of this. In fact, a few of the books I’m choosing for this challenge are books that I started and set goals for myself to finish, but ended up failing one way or another.
I invite you to join me in this challenge. The list of books below are all business or architecture related, because that is what I am interested in learning more about at the moment. You are welcome to grab these books and read them alongside me, or you can also choose your own books that you’ve started but haven’t had the opportunity to finish.
If you choose not to take part at all, I will be posting a review each week after I have finished each book highlighting the main points and things I’ve learned. Also, be sure and follow along on the PROP.houses Instagram (@prop.houses) for updates throughout the week.
I’m so excited to get this challenge started, and I hope you’ll join me! Here we go…
- Finish: Give Yourself the Gift of Done – John Acuff
- Extreme Ownsership – Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
- Let Go: How to Transform Moments of Panic Into a Life of Profits and Purpose – Pat Flynn
- Will it Fly? How to Test Your Next Business Idea So You Don’t Waste Your Time and Money – Pat Flynn
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich – Timothy Ferriss
- Discipline Equals Freedom Field Manual – Jocko Willink
- The Creativity Code – Alex Gore with Lance Cayko
- Architect + Entrepreneur: A Field Guide to Building, Branding, and Marketing Your Startup Design Business (Volume 1) – Eric Reinholdt
- Architect + Entrepreneur: A How-to-Guide for Innovating Practice: Tactics, Models, and Case Studies in Passive Income (Volume 2) – Eric Reinholdt